Housing and Shelter Information and Links

Protection for renters in Montana during the pandemic

The CDC order that protects some renters from eviction has been extended to June 30, 2021, and remains in place while a case in federal court moves the court system. Renters can continue giving the CDC Declaration to their landlords, if they meet the requirements. You may be protected from eviction by the CDC order if you are behind on the rent and ALL of the following are true:

1. You have used your best efforts to obtain government assistance for rent or housing.
2. One of these three income statements is true for you:

  • You expect to earn no more than $99,000 in annual income for 2020 (or no more than $198,000 if filing a joint tax return),
  • You were not required to report any income in 2019 to the IRS,
  • You received a stimulus paycheck during the pandemic.

3. You cannot pay the full rent or make a full housing payment due to substantial loss of income, loss of compensable working hours, loss of wages, you were laid-off or you had extraordinary medical expenses.
4. You are using your best efforts to make timely partial payments to the landlord that are as close to the full payment as your circumstances allow.
5. Eviction would likely make you homeless or force you to move into close quarters with others or shared living settings.

If you live as a temporary guest in a hotel, motel or seasonal housing, you will not be protected by the CDC’s eviction ban. But if you are renting a motel/hotel room on a more permanent basis, you may be protected.

More information on renter protection

Rent and/or mortgage assistance

Montana Legal Services Association

Homeword Missoula

More housing assistance programs

Other resources:

Salvation Army Missoula
355 S. Russell St.
Missoula, MT 59802
Phone: 406-549-0710
Hours: 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Volunteers of America
Short-term rental assistance for veterans who are homeless or about to be homeless. Call for eligibility guidelines.
2801 S. Russell St.  No. 18
Missoula, MT 59801
Phone: 406-926-3600

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
The federal agency has a guide to coronavirus relief options.

Emergency shelter

During this time, please begin by calling one of the phone numbers below for assistance:

Missoula Coordinated Entry System Access Points
YWCA - 406-543-6691
Poverello - 406-728-1809
Salvation Army - 406-549-0710
Dial 2-1-1 or 406-549-5555, and ask to speak with an operator about your housing situation

WATCH: Helping those experiencing homelessness during COVID-19 crisis

WATCH: Assisting vulnerable populations during a pandemic

University students

The University of Montana and the UM Foundation have established the Emergency Student Support Fund to help enrolled students meet their basic needs, including housing assistance, by alleviating unexpected financial hardship created by the COVID-19 pandemic. Students may apply for assistance via the Office of Student Affairs website. All resources offered through the fund are made available by generous donations from family, friends and alumni of the University of Montana. Those community members interested in helping students in need may give online by visiting www.supportum.org/emergencyfund

Students looking for housing in Missoula can contact the ASUM Renter Center at 406-243-2017. Renter Center staff are working remotely and can continue to help students with their rental needs. Visit their website and read their guidance for renters who are worried they may not be able to pay rent due to COVID-19. 

Helpful links